These events are canceled at this time. We will let you know when this is rescheduled.
…to our Kindergarten Kick-Off
Dear Parents of Future Kindergartners,
Please help your child take his or her first steps towards kindergarten by joining us on Tuesday, March 24th from 5:30-7:00 (if your child’s last name begins A-L) and Thursday, March 26th 5:30-7:00 (if your child’s last name begins M-Z). Please RSVP to Highland Elementary School (815-645-2230) to confirm your child’s attendance at this special event. Please keep in mind all students entering Kindergarten for the 2020-2021 school year must be 5 by September 1st.
Future Kindergartners are invited to join the kindergarten teachers and their future classmates for our annual kindergarten screening. Your child’s participation in this event will help smooth his or her transition into kindergarten. Attendance is strongly recommended. The teachers will use the information gathered at this event to help make decisions about next year’s class lists. Upon arrival, your child will be escorted to the Kindergarten screening area to begin meeting new friends and complete screening activities while you will be attending an informational meeting in the Multipurpose Room.
We look forward to seeing you and your child there!
Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Goodman, Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Hickerson, Mrs. Diedericks and Mrs. Giddings
Highland Elementary School Kindergarten Teachers
Please contact the school office at 815-645-2230 to RSVP
by March 1st
5:30-7:00 p.m. Tuesday, March 24th for last name A-L
5:30-7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 26th for last name M-Z
*Please be advised that if your child does not attend the Kindergarten Kick-Off, your child will receive an initial classroom placement the first week of school with the potential to be moved to another classroom after a screening is completed.
** If you are unable to attend your scheduled night please RSVP for the alternate night.
New Kindergarten Student Registration
Meridian C.U.S.D. #223 extends a warm welcome to our new students and families. The following information is presented to help the registration process flow quickly and smoothly. To be eligible for admission to Meridian, a child must be 5 years old and less than 21 years of age on or before September 1 of the current school term. A child with exceptional needs who qualifies for special education services is eligible for admission at 3 years of age.
Parents should be prepared to present the following documents and forms when enrolling their child(ren) in Meridian C.U.S.D. 223 schools for the first time.
Please note that failure to pay your fees by the beginning of the academic year may result in loss of privileges for your student(s) and/or being sent to collections.
1. THREE Proofs of residency within Meridian C.U.S.D. #223 from these examples:
· Drivers license
· Home ownership title or deed (or signed closing statement)
· Apartment lease
· Utility bill (water, gas, or electric)
· Automotive insurance
· Homeowners insurance
· Property tax bill
For those enrolling a child but are unable to produce a lease, purchase property agreement, or similar document, a Letter of Residence can be filled out by clicking HERE
2. Birth certificate - certified original copy (hospital copy not accepted).
3. Physical examination - required for all new out-of-state students and for students entering pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, sixth and ninth grades. Must be signed by an Illinois physician.
4. Dental examination - required for all new out-of-state students and for students entering kindergarten, second and sixth grade.
5. Proof of immunizations against communicable diseases as required by the Illinois Department of Health required within one year before entering pre-kindergarten, kindergarten or first grade, for all new students entering District 223, and for students entering fifth, sixth and ninth grade.
6. Eye examinations are now required for all new out of state students and students entering kindergarten. Eye exams must be completed by a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist.
In some instances, additional documentation may be required.